ShopCart

Tantrums

22 comments

1. March 24th, 2012 at 2:36 am TeacherKate says:

Thank you for these videos Tizzie! I am just starting to notice a bit of this behaviour with my 18 month old boy. I used this technique with him at the shops today and it worked very well. He realised very quickly that if he did not hold Mummy’s hand we wern’t going very far!

I have also found the “How to put your bay to bed” video very useful in the early days when we were using the doublewrap too. Thank you for giving me my happy SOS bub – who at 18mnths sleeps 12hrs overnight + 2hrs eacjh afternoon!

Kate

2. 6
  3. March 24th, 2012 at 9:23 am Tizzie says:

Thank you for the lovely feed back Kate 🙂

Tizzie

4. 0
  5. April 30th, 2012 at 2:13 pm Pip says:

Love these videos Tizzie, thankyou. They are a great supplement to your books. My daughter 13 months has just started to walk properly and the couple of times I’ve tried to hold her hand she has refused. Will try this technique and see how we go!

6. 6
  7. May 1st, 2012 at 12:58 am Tizzie says:

Thanks for the lovely feedback Pip!
    Tizzie

8. 0
  9. May 6th, 2012 at 2:23 am Melinda says:

Thank you for the video. My daughter is 14 months and seems to have started her tantrums early! (from about 12 months). I really appreciate your ‘real life’ footage and honesty in talking about your own experiences with tantrums as I have found that most mums of kids with similar ages to mine tell me their children do not tantrum – this has left me worrying more about my daughter and my parenting! Your video has not only given me the tools and confidence to try to help her overcome her tantrums but it has also made me feel like our experience is more “normal” THANKYOU!

10. 3
  11. May 6th, 2012 at 8:05 am Tizzie says:

Hi Melinda
    Thank you for your comment I am pleased my video has helped you, How I would like to say my boys don’t test the boundaries and don’t tantrum but they do it is a normal part of childhood. Thank you for the Thank you!
    Have a great sunday evening from Tizzie

12. 0
  13. May 6th, 2012 at 9:33 am Cliar Price says:

HI Tizzie, In the video, are you holding your sons hand for the entire 46 mins and staying at his level? Imtrying to start to deal with my 15 months olds tanrums and am a bit confused how to approach them

14. 3
  15. May 7th, 2012 at 7:49 am Tizzie says:

Hi Clair

Yes I am holding his hand and at his level for the full 46 minutes.

Tizzie

16. 0
  17. May 7th, 2012 at 6:47 pm amanda smith says:

What a fantastically helpful video Tizzie. My 14 month old has just started doing this, and we are now expecting our second which had me worried about how to deal with his little outbursts.
    Thank you Tizzie, and I look forward to using your book once again very soon.

18. 3
  19. May 7th, 2012 at 8:58 pm Tizzie says:

Thank you for the thank you!

20. 0
  21. May 11th, 2012 at 6:50 am Kenny says:

Your last words were “…you should allow your child to have the tantrum when you have the time to see it through from beginning to end”

Im confused. How do we control or choose when the tantrum happens? If we don’t have the time to “see it through” then how do we respond to the tantrum? The child is deciding to have a tantrum at any time of the day, and in any location. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of then just scheduling 46 minutes into my day of sitting holding my child’s hand to see a tantrum through.

Also, I have a child who tantrums by holding his breath until he turns blue and passes out in my arms then starts breathing again. I’m in tears every time a tantrum happens it’s terribly frightening!

22. 0
  23. May 16th, 2012 at 4:44 pm Lee says:

Hi Tizzie

This is really useful, thank you.

What would you recommend to do if you didn’t have the time to let him go for the full amount of time, say if you were on your way to dinner in 5 mins?

24. 6
  25. May 16th, 2012 at 8:02 pm Tizzie says:

Hi Lee:

If you don’t have time to see the tantrum through as you have an appointment or are on your way somewhere then Tizzie would recommend you try and distract your toddler with something else. You only allow a tantrum to finish as displayed in the video if you have the time to see it through until the end.

Kind Regards
    Kirstie
    Save Our Sleep

26. 0
  27. May 22nd, 2012 at 1:35 pm Tess says:

Hi Tizzie,

Would you suggest a similar approach for a two year old that always wants out of her pram? I have to commute on public transport with her at the end of a day at daycare, so she is tired and always wants to be carried, but I am now 7.5 months pregnant and carrying her and pushing the pram home is too hard, but she works herself into such a state if I dont let her out – it is such an awful way to end the day!

Thanks,
    Tess

28. 6
  29. May 22nd, 2012 at 3:11 pm Tizzie says:

Hi Tess:

Thank you for your questions. Yes you could do a similar approach with yoru toddler. However I would suggest setting the boundary that she can either sit in the pram or walk holding your hand or the pram handle. If she doesn’t hold your hand or the pram handle she will be asking you to put her in the pram. I would avoid carrying her where possible. If she won’t walk you may want to think of something that will comfort her while in the pram such as a special toy, a special book etc that is just used for this time of the day.

All the best,

Kind Regards,
    Kirstie
    Save Our Sleep

30. 0
  31. August 4th, 2012 at 9:55 am Kim Manson says:

I adapted this technique for my 14 month old who is having tantrums when her bottle is presented to her, works great – hold her and quietly wait out the tantrum, then when she is over it present the bottle again – and without fuss drinks it.

32. 6
  33. August 4th, 2012 at 10:37 am Tizzie says:

Fantastic! Well Done Kim and thank you for sharing 🙂

Keep up the great parenting.

Kind Regards,
    Kirstie,
    Save Our Sleep

34. 0
  35. November 14th, 2012 at 3:37 pm April says:

Hi Tizzie
    Your little boy is just adorable, sooo cute!! Your book, Save our sleep is wonderful it has helped me soo much with my little 3 month old as a first time parent. Thankyou soo much 🙂

36. 3
  37. November 15th, 2012 at 5:46 pm Tizzie says:

Thank you April, not so cute in that Clip! I’m glad you are finding the book helpful.

Tizzie

38. 0
  39. January 21st, 2013 at 12:24 pm erin says:

great to watch! How might you apply this to other instances when the tantrum is brought one by them not doing a task you ask of them, or something not going their way etc..?

40. 6
  41. January 22nd, 2013 at 9:44 am Tizzie says:

Hi Erin:

Thank you for your lovely feedback. Tizzie talks in depth in her toddler book about how to deal with different sorts of tantrums and it depends on the age of your child whether you try the holding technique or use a thinking chair/spot. Here is a link to Tizzie’s toddler book – http://shop.saveoursleep.com.au/product/2390/37207/SAVE%20OUR%20SLEEP:%20TODDLER/

Kind Regards,
    Kirstie,
    Save Our Sleep

42. 3
  43. September 21st, 2013 at 3:05 pm Tizzie says:

Please do not pop questions up in the Blog Commentsa re fine but if you have a question please join the advice area.