ShopCart

My advice on safety!

9 comments

1. February 6th, 2010 at 2:26 pm Lynn says:

Wow! Can Darragh swim already? How is he allowed to go into the pool without an adult carrying him?

2. 0
  3. February 6th, 2010 at 11:30 pm Tizzie says:

Hi Lynn:

As much as I would like to say Darragh can swim I won’t. He is very confident and can float a bit but he can’t swim as such. I know it looks like he is alone in the clip but he is not I would never let him play/swim at a pool alone or with me in my clothes holding Cillian. There was an adult in the pool with him at all times during the filming but you just can’t see that or the point I was trying to get across wouldn’t have got across.

As for going in with him in an adults arms he has gone into a pool crawling from about 11 months. At the pool we go to they just have to be under adult supervision not in your arms but you need to be in your swimwear and next to them at all times.

Le gach dea-ghui, Tizzie

4. 0
  5. February 10th, 2010 at 7:39 pm Lynn says:

Hi Tizzie,

Oh wow, great facility! I wish I had something like this in Sydney close by.

6. 0
  7. February 11th, 2010 at 9:33 pm Tizzie says:

I am sure you would you might just need to ask around, maybe put a post in the advice area asking. The pool has a beach entry thats what you should ask for.

8. 0
  9. March 9th, 2010 at 7:42 pm Susan Pengilley says:

Hi Tizzie,
    I was just wondering what your advice was on having different rules for entering the pool when it’s just me compared to the baby swim classes we attend as they do not use this approach and the babies jump in head first. Thanks

10. 0
  11. March 11th, 2010 at 3:51 pm Tizzie says:

Hi Susan:

Thank you for a great question. Communication really is the key here. Babies and children really do understand much more than we give them credit for. What you need to do is talk to your little one and explain that when at the swimming pool and he hears you call ‘SAFE’ he must get down on all fours, turn around and enter the pool backwards. Then you need to explain that when he/she is in swimming class and only when the instructor tells him/her to he/she can jump in. However I would make it clear to your little one that this should only happen when his/her instructor is there to ‘catch’ them and tells them to do. In all other instances when you are at the pool just swimming you should always say ‘SAFE’ when your little one is entering the pool even if you are right there with them. This will then become the dominant behaviour.

Le gach dea-ghui, Tizzie

12. 0
  13. January 13th, 2011 at 12:21 pm Nicole Rowan Holt says:

What fabulous advice Tizzie. Darcy is now 5 years old. Thank you so much for sharing your pearls of wisdom with me 4 1/2 years ago. What a gift you are to so many women around the world.

14. 0
  15. April 14th, 2011 at 10:06 pm Maria says:

Great videos Tizzie are you planning a DVD?

16. 0
  17. September 6th, 2011 at 1:55 am Leanne says:

My little girl is 15 months and very curious. We have a park that is alongside the beach with a rocky edge that has quite a drop. I have taught her safe and she goes backwards, but she always makes her way to the edge and starts to turn backwards. I am finding it hard to teach her that she is not to go near the edge because she obviously feels that if she goes backwards she can do it.