ShopCart

Channel 10 News report

Channel 10 news report
Hi All, here is the interview from Channel 10 Brisbane News regarding my advice around keeping babies warm enough in bed. When you watch the link please be aware that I actually made it clear that I agree with everything SIDS say about over heating being a factor in SIDS but 90% of my interview has been edited out. My …aim was to point out to parents that if their babies are also not warm enough in bed my research has shown they will roll to their tummies and this of course is a big risk factor for SIDS.

7 comments

1. March 15th, 2010 at 12:17 pm Tamara says:

Hi Tizzie

This kind of thing is so frustrating! How is a baby supposed to sleep well with only one light blanket on? Doesn’t it depend on the temperature of the room at least! Part of the problem is trying to report on a topic like this on 1.5 mins – quite impossible! Interestingly, the official position of Plunket in NZ seems to be that babies need to be warm to sleep well, and blankets are fine. Just check down the baby’s back for overheating. You wouldn’t be meeting such resistance here!

2. 0
  3. March 18th, 2010 at 9:52 am Tizzie says:

Hi Tamara:

Yes it is frustrating but I am sure SIDS and Kids said more than what was in the interview it was just cut back to these few words to make it look like we were saying the opposite. Yes it would depend on the temperature of the baby’s room and the humidity levels as explained in my bedding guide. Its great Plunket are aware babies need to be warm to sleep well. Here is a link and also the comments from my fan page on facebook for you to read. Thank you for commenting in here.

Amy: oh my goodness…….not a subject they should be editing anything out on, Grrr makes me mad.

Rhiannon: Too right !!!

Tizzie: Yes and me because at the end of the interview I made it clear my SIDS advice was the same as SIDS and KIDS in fact my SIDS chapter is written by them, but they wanted to cause drama and get viewers. If you go to my blog http://blog.saveoursleep.com/2010/02/04/how-to-put-your-baby-to-bed/ you will see the information I have based my study on came from the SIDS and KIDS themselves so they must have edited Janet as well!

Yvonne: Typical media!! You just never know the full story do you??

Tainia: So disappointed in 10

Bronte: Not very good journalism. editing the most important points out..mmm.

Elicia: That sucks!!! Your awesome, you do an amazing job, anyone who uses your advice tells at least 20 other people how awesome it all is. Don’t let it bother you!!!
    As you say tizzie, babies can’t die in their sleep if they AREN’T SLEEPING COS THEY ARE FREEZING!!!!

Lauren: so much of “news” these days is just sensationalism! that was more of a bitchy seeming piece. “Dislike”, channel 10, “DISLIKE”!

Kristin: I know that Ollie rolls on to his stomach when he is cold! He also wakes every sleep cycle, the whole night. Channel TEN is just looking to boost ratings.

Jane: Chanel Ten wouldn’t know news if it hit them in the ass – yes, SIDS is extremely dangerous to our precious Angels but the advice Tizzie gives is simply priceless and all makes sense when put into practice. My 18mnth old twins have been in her routine since 5 months old and it works brilliantly for us. Well done Tizzie, keep up the fantastic work – I look forward to reading your toddler book. Thanks for keeping me sane 🙂

Angela: It’s a shame your interview was cut short we all know and trust your advice! I feel for all those poor little babes that are freezing at night Id imagine they would be so tired and cranky due to lack of much needed solid sleep. NOT IMPRESSED channel 10 news!

Tara: I hate when the media do things like this; not the first time they’ve chopped and changed important information… But they give us blow by blow account on crap like Lara Bingle!!! – go figure .

Jacqui: It’s looks like Ch 10 have just wanted to edit the story in an attempt to confuse parents. They’re trying to make out that they have a social conscience by bringing us the story in the first place but have twisted it into something promoting their own self interest. Tizzie’s routines and advice have given me 2 very happy, healthy and SAFE children (and parents too who get a decent nights sleep!)

Olivia: I hope that this interview does not negatively impact on you Tizzie and people will still go to your website and buy the books etc and research/read what you have ACTUALLY got to say about the topic which is important in ensuring bubs sleep well and keep safe. Shame on you channel 10.

Le gach dea-ghui, Tizzie

4. 0
  5. April 10th, 2010 at 4:10 am Niamh Lynn says:

I am a mother of a 12 week old daughter, Naoise and we have been following your routines from her birth on 14 January, however when Naoise was 8 weeks old we moved from Sydney to Bahrain and I am totally confused by the temperature issue. We have the bedroom airconditioned to 22 degrees and I have downloaded your temperature guide and am following the NSW/WA guide to the amount of bedding. When my husband lifts Naoise for her dreamfeed, she is sweating. He wants me to follow SIDS advice of one light blanket but to dress her in the bodysuit, babygro and wrap, Idon’t know what to do when there is so much conflicting advice. It is very frustrating. I hate that channel 10 has manipulated mothers in this manner and I shall continue not sleeping a wink for fear that Naoise will overheat by following your guidelines or underheat after my husband returns her to bed and inevitably removes blankets!!!

6. 0
  7. April 10th, 2010 at 8:25 am Tizzie says:

Hi Niamh:

Welcome to my Blog, I am sorry you and your husband are not on the same page with how to sleep Naoise and keep her safe at night. If she is sweaty at the dreamfeed it might be you have a mattress protector or a wool underlay on the cot so if so please try removing these. You might fine my links to SIDS research on this Blog interesting http://blog.saveoursleep.com/2010/02/04/how-to-put-your-baby-to-bed/ also I have a new Blog on TOGS http://blog.saveoursleep.com/2010/04/ you might be able to show your husband. It is really hard with all the conflicting advice out there so the best thing to do is watch your baby as explained in my bedding guide and adjust the bedding if she shows signs of getting too hot or too cold. With all advice you need to take from it what your gut tells you is correct this is the only way to work around all the advice given or we will all send ourselves crazy with worry and guilt.

Le gach dea-ghui, Tizzie

8. 0
  9. April 19th, 2010 at 2:40 pm Natalie Phelps says:

Tizzie, last night I purchased your PDF “safe bedding guide” and came to realise that my little Hamish (11 months) is COLD at night!! He has been so restless and moving around the cot., laying on his tummy with his face in the mattress etc. I thought it was because he was too hot – but obviously its the exact opposite! So I have now just purchased him a 2.5 tog and some babygro and bodysuits – express post!! I feel terrible for not realising it sooner. I am hoping this will make all the difference and give my little man a good nights sleep!!

10. 0
  11. April 19th, 2010 at 3:05 pm Tizzie says:

Hi Natalie:

I am sure using the correct clothing and bedding will make all the difference. Please remember that if you have a mattress protector on your cot you will need to remove this as I found this makes baby’s sweaty. Also please remember that i have found the room needs to be 20 degrees so if the room gets any colder than this you will need to heat it. Good Luck!

Le gach dea-ghui, Tizzie